Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 15

"I didn't finish telling what we did last night. For dinner we ate a type of meat like ham but from the cow (similar to prosciutto). It was placed on the plate with olive oil, radish and shaved Parmesan cheese. I ate it with fresh bread! So good...After we had salad with cucumber, radish and soggy bread mixed throughout (in Italy they soak break in water and crumble it in the salad...it tasted ok after I got over my dislike for soggy bread). While Maura prepared dinner in the kitchen, we had some break-through with her English. With the help of the English-Italian dictionary, we were able to talk about the vegetables and our likes and dislikes with food. Again, I had a Birra Moretti with dinner. For dessert we ate fresh apricots from their tree. I was impressed with the fact that Maura, speaking very little English, still says "very WELL" instead of the common mistake for Americans to say "I am very GOOD". I tried to express this fact at the dinner table. We also talked about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico."

"Today I went to the gym with Maura and Marta. It is the nicest gym I've ever been in. It has a full spa and showers plus all new equipment...the gym is brand new. First we did a step class with an instructer...a little hard for me to follow in Italiano. After I ran on the "joywalk" (treadmill...which is the same treadmill we have at the SCAD gym)-but in kilometers and Italian of course. I had no clue how fast I was running. But I got to look out the window over the Italian counrtyside and watch the trains pass by on their way to Rome. Really surreal."

No comments:

Post a Comment